Tuesday 28 April 2009

Skin dryness

Once you start taking isotretinoin (sotret, roaccutane or any other brand), you'll notice that your skin will dry. That's because one of this medicine's effects are on the sebaceous glands. In my case, as I used to have an extremely oily face (3 hours after washing, my face was already shining, haha), it took 3 or 4 days after starting the treatment to notice the sebum reduction. 4 weeks after, my skin started exfoliating and my lips cracking. It's normal to happen like this and I knew about it before deciding to go for these pills.

Anyway, I will post what my dermatologist recommended for dryness:
  • first of all, a baby soap. At the moment I use Nivea Baby, it works fine.
  • when washing your face, use lukewarm water (not cold, not warm).
  • your lips may get on your nerves, so always have a lip balm in your pocket. I use Nivea Lip Care. Oh, and if you are a male too, get the blue one. Or if you want some colour on your lips, get something else.
  • in case you feel your eyes dry: Visine - I don't feel the need, so I don't use it.
  • if you want to apply a moisturizer, my dermatologist told me to use something light. For instance: Hydrance Lejere or Hydracristal fluid termal (from Uriage). - I also don't want to apply anything on my face (I've been using Brevoxyl for more than 2 years, enough with cremes), although my skin is peeling. It's not that bad, though.
As you may see, I don't use the last 2.

So, if any of you uses or recommends anything else, please post a comment.

2 comments:

  1. sotret dryness is an annoying thing, indeed. but most of acne suferers would follow the treatment no matter what. i can't argue with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, i really like this sotret blog, keep posting. i'll follow your treatment!
    i can't edit the above comment anymore, sorry.

    ReplyDelete